Project: Website Portal and Online Voter Registration System
Client: DC Board of Election and Ethics
Solution Provided by DataNet: DataNet provided the design, development, testing, and hosting of the website portal integrated with web-based application modules for the DC Board of Election and Ethics (DCBOEE). This is a standards based website portal which seamlessly integrates various application modules, including:
- Voter Information Center: This module facilitates DC residents to check whether they are active registrants for the forthcoming elections, learn how to vote using the voting equipment in their voting booth, and check whether their special ballots were counted.
- Polling Place Locator: This module allows DC residents to check where they are supposed to vote and how to get to their designated Polling place. This functionality has been integrates with the District of Columbia Master Street Index. Once the user inputs his/her residential address, the application locates the corresponding polling place, ward, and school district from the database and displayed to the user. A map of the polling place is also provided.
- Voter Registration Center: This module facilitates DC residents to register to vote online, election-day worker request, and absentee ballot request.
Technical and Development aspects of the Website: DataNet provided the design, development, testing, and hosting of the website portal integrated with web-based application modules for the DC Board of Election and Ethics (DCBOEE). This is a standards based website portal which seamlessly integrates various application modules, including:
- Standard CMMI compliant software engineering methodology was used for the entire project lifecycle. State-of-the-art industry practices and guidelines that governed the requirements generation, analysis and definition, system design specification, implementation, testing, deployment, training, documentation, and helpdesk support aspects of the project.
- Scalable distributed architecture and modular design methodology was used for developing various modules in the system.
- For the Phase I, technologies used in this project included ASP, VB, SQL Server 2000, and SHTML.
- . NET technologies are being used for the migration to .NET framework phase of the project include ASP.NET, VB.NET, C#, SQL Server 2005, XML, XSLT, and SHTML, for the new product development phase.
- Development platform consists of Visual Studio.NET 2003, SQL server 2005, .NET Framework 2.0, and Dreamweaver 8.0
- Section 508 standards and W3C Priority 1-3 accessibility guidelines for section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act are being strictly followed tp ensure Section 508 usability compliance on the agency web portal.
- Usability and Accessibility testing were performed per predetermined test protocols evolving from the user interface research and design phases of the project.
- Seamless integration of various modules characterized the development of the website application portal. These modules include the:
- Login module for secure and password protected authentication
- Voter registration suite of modules for voter registration status, special ballot, and polling place locator, online voter registration, election day worker request, and absentee ballot request, letters and mail merge module; and
- Reports publishing module for generating, reviewing, and publishing pre-defined voter registration statistics reports to the website for public viewing.